What is a genius hour proposal?
During the Genius Hour time, students research their project and brainstorm ideas about how to best present their learning to their peers. Students spend weeks researching their topic and brainstorming projects. After the weeks of research are over, students create a project to show what they learned.
How do you make a genius hour project?
Five Key Pillars of Genius Hour
- Students select their topics.
- Students formulate research questions.
- Students research topics.
- Students create projects.
- Students share their projects with the school or greater community.
What are some examples of genius hour projects?
We have collated 20 good examples of genius hour projects:
- Create a podcast.
- Write a poem, play, song, story, blog, or whole book.
- Learn a new language or create your own.
- Teach a younger student a skill.
- Build a website or make an app.
What is a good genius hour project?
A good idea for Genius Hour is to guide students toward causes that they enjoy, and find local chapters to help. For example, if your students love animals, as most do, they can research local humane societies or can research what actually happens at animal control.
What are the 3 rules for genius hour?
Genius Hour has three rules:
- Students must start with an essential question that cannot be answered with a simple Google search.
- Students must research their question using reputable websites, interviews, and/or print resources.
- Students must create something. Their product may be digital, physical or service-oriented.
What is the main purpose of genius hour?
Genius Hour provides students freedom to design their own learning during a set period of time during school. It allows students to explore their own curiosity through a self-manifested sense of purpose and study while within the support system of the classroom.
What project can I start?
If you’re looking for a creative project to try, consider one of these 23 ideas:
- Write a blog post. A blog post is a web article you can write on any topic that interests you.
- Write a poem.
- Write a short story.
- Create custom bookmarks.
- Create a poster.
- Create digital artwork.
- Take a photo series.
- Create a vision board.