What are examples of somatic complaints?
Somatic symptom disorder symptoms include:
- Neurological symptoms such as headaches, movement disorders, weakness, dizziness, fainting.
- Digestive symptoms such as abdominal pain or bowel problems, diarrhea, incontinence, and constipation.
- Sexual symptoms such as pain during sexual activity or painful periods.
What is meant by somatic symptoms?
Overview. Somatic symptom disorder is characterized by an extreme focus on physical symptoms — such as pain or fatigue — that causes major emotional distress and problems functioning.
What does multiple somatic complaints mean?
Somatic symptom disorder is characterized by multiple persistent physical complaints that are associated with excessive and maladaptive thoughts, feelings, and behaviors related to those symptoms. The symptoms are not intentionally produced or feigned and may or may not accompany known medical illness.
What are somatic complaints in children?
Somatic symptom disorder is a mental health disorder that can affect children. Children who have somatic symptom disorder worry a lot about physical feelings that are pretty normal — like headaches, stomachaches, or being tired. These small issues make them think they have a serious sickness.
What are somatic symptoms in children?
What are the symptoms of a somatic symptom disorder?
- Pain. This is the most commonly reported symptom.
- Feeling tired/low energy level.
- Stomach ache, nausea, vomiting.
- Shortness of breath, trouble breathing.
- Rapid heart beat.
- Bowel problems (diarrhea, constipation, bloating, gas)
How do you treat hypochondria in children?
Professional treatments for hypochondria include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), which is very helpful for reducing patient fears.
- Behavioral stress management or exposure therapy may be helpful.
- Psychotropic medications, such as anti-depressants, are sometimes used to treat health anxiety disorder.
What is the full meaning of somatic?
1a : of, relating to, or affecting the body especially as distinguished from the germplasm : physical. b : of, relating to, supplying, or involving skeletal muscles the somatic nervous system a somatic reflex. 2 : of or relating to the wall of the body as distinguished from the viscera : parietal. Other Words from …
Is somatic painful?
Somatic pain can be deep or superficial, with the deeper pain coming from the skeletal structure, tendons, and muscles. It can be described as aching, cramping, gnawing, or even sharp. It usually appears in one area of the body, and movement can trigger it.
What are the types of somatic pain?
Examples of somatic pain include:
- bone fractures.
- strained muscles.
- connective tissue diseases, such as osteoporosis.
- cancer that affects the skin or bones.
- skin cuts, scrapes, and burns.
- joint pain, including arthritis pain.